WATER TREATMENT SITE MONITORING DURING COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS
Importance of Water Treatment
Water treatment is critical preventative maintenance for cooling towers, steam boilers, and closed loop systems. Failure to properly maintain your treated water systems and implement the water treatment program recommendations can result in serious problems that impact system life, efficiency, reliability, and safe operation, and may cause unexpected failure.
Water Treatment is a Partnership
Periodic service visits by your Chem-Aqua Representative to test the water, check inventory levels, and review the operation of the treated systems are an integral component of a treatment program. Routine monitoring by site personnel is also important to identify and communicate issues that develop between service visits. This partnership is essential even where automated feed and control equipment is installed.
Although water treaters are recognized as Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers to perform necessary work at critical infrastructure facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic, previously routine service visits may be difficult to schedule due to site access restrictions and other challenges. This makes site personnel involvement more important than ever to help monitor the treatment program and minimize problems.
Site Monitoring Guidelines
The following guidelines were prepared to assist plant personnel in monitoring their water treatment programs between site service visits and communicating changes that impact program implementation and results. They are not intended to replace any more specific monitoring and testing program that may be in place.
1. Communicate Changes in Site Access Protocols
2. Communicate Changes in Plant or System Operation Such as Shutdowns or Startup
3. Monitor Chemical Inventory Levels in Drums or Tanks
4. Verify Chemical Feed Pumps are Primed
5. Cooling Tower System Monitoring Guidelines
6. Closed Loop System (Chilled, Hot Water, Process) Monitoring Guidelines
7. Steam Boiler System Monitoring Guidelines
8. On-Site Water Testing Program
9. Collect Water Samples for Off-Site Water Analysis
Any potential problems or questions should be promptly communicated to your Chem-Aqua Representative for follow up recommendations.